In order to support the development of Confucius Institutes, facilitate Chinese language promotion and Chinese cultural transmission in the world, cultivate qualified Chinese language teachers and talented students of Chinese language, Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) launches the “Confucius Institute Scholarship” program to provide financial aid for students, scholars and Chinese language teachers worldwide to proceed to study in such majors as Chinese Language and Literature.
I. Scholarship Category and Application Requirement
The category of scholarship of 2012 includes Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Students and Scholarship for One-Semester Students. The number of recruitment is respectively 8 and 15. Applicants shall be non-Chinese citizens aged between 16 and 35 (Chinese language teachers shall be aged below 45).
1. Scholarship for One-Academic Year Students. The scholarship is provided to outstanding students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), outstanding performers on HSK, winners of the “
” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, Chinese language teachers worldwide, and outstanding graduates of Chinese language across the world, or those who intend to become Chinese teachers. The scholarship winner may choose to study majors of Chinese Language and Literature. The time of entrance is autumn 2012 （September 3）and the grant term is one academic year. Applicants should complete their study at a Confucius Institute for over 120 hours, or achieve a score of at least 180 on the new HSK (level 3).
2. Scholarship for One-Semester Students. The scholarship is provided to outstanding students of Confucius Institutes (Classrooms), outstanding performers on HSK, winners of the “
” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students, Chinese language teachers worldwide, and outstanding students of Chinese language across the world. The scholarship winner may choose to study majors of Chinese Language and Literature. The time of entrance is autumn 2012 or Spring 2013 and the grant term is one semester. Applicants should complete their study at a Confucius Institute for over 60 hours, or achieve a score of at least 120 on the new HSK (level 2).
II. Scholarship Coverage and Criteria
Scholarship winners are exempt from registration fees, tuition, fees for basic learning materials, accommodation fees on campus, and are provided with a one-off resettlement subsidy, monthly allowance, outpatient medical service and comprehensive insurance for foreign students studying in
. Monthly allowance is RMB 1400. One-off resettlement subsidy is RMB1500 for one-year students. The one-off resettlement subsidy will not be provided to those who have studied in
for more than half a year before being enrolled.
III. Recruitment Procedures
1. From the issue date of the Procedures, applicants should log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarship website at http://cis.chinese.cn, set up an individual account, read information and fill in "Ludong University" as host institutes, complete and submit the Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form (see Attachment 1) online, print out the Form and submit it to their recommending institution along with other application materials (see Article 4). All the documents can be mailed to us, or make photocopies and emailed to us.
2. Confucius Institutes (independently set-up Confucius Classrooms), overseas Chinese test centers, educational and cultural offices (sections) of Chinese embassies (consulates), host institutes and institutions of higher education in those countries with no Confucius Institutes are entrusted by Hanban as the recommending institutions.
The recommending institutions shall exam the qualification and application materials of applicants, and recommend outstanding applicants. Recommending institutions shall send the application materials of qualified applicants (e-scanning copy or original copy) to
and submit the candidate name list (see Attachment 2) to Hanban by May 10th, 2012.
are responsible for reviewing the qualification of applicants and submitting the proposed enrollment name list of qualified candidates to Hanban by June 5th 2012.
4. Hanban will organize an expert panel to make the final selection and publish the name list of successful applicants on the Scholarship website by June 30th 2012, which will be informed to applicants through recommending institutions.
will mail “Admission Notice”, “Enrollment Instructions”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in
” (JW202 Form) and other related materials to successful applicants through their recommending institutions by July 10th 2012.
IV. Application Documents
Applicants shall submit the following documents:
1. Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form
2. Photocopy of Passport Photo Page
3. Application Statement: stating applicant's Chinese language learning background, study plan and aim in China It shall be written in Chinese and no less than 800 words.
4.Registration Certification of Confucius Institute or Photocopy of New HSK Result Report。
5. Diploma and Transcripts. Applicants shall submit transcripts and notarized highest education diplomas attained or proof of study.
6. Reference Letter. Students attending Chinese language programs of universities in countries with no Confucius Institutes established shall attach a reference letter signed and issued by the university President.
7. Applications under the age of 18 shall submit relevant legal documents of entrusted legal guardians in
8. Winners of the finals of the“Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competitions for Foreign College Students and for Foreign High School Students in China shall submit the duplicate of scholarship certificate and reference letter provided by educational and cultural offices (sections) of Chinese embassies (consulates). Winners of preliminary rounds of the“
” Proficiency Competitions in their countries shall provide award proof and reference letter provided by the organizers.
9. Chinese language teachers shall submit the proof on number of teaching years and weekly teaching hours provided by institutes they work for.
V. Entrance and Annual Appraisal
1. The scholarship winners shall register at the host institutes before the deadline set by the institutes. Scholarships will not be kept for those who do not register on time without reasonable cause.
2. Scholarships will be canceled for those who cannot pass the health examination.
VI. Contact Information
International Exchanges and Cooperation Office,
Middle Hongqi Road
, Zhifu District,
Telephone: +86-535-6673797 6696181
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com